Snaking 70 feet below ground, from Paddington to Whitechapel, lies one of London’s most hidden secrets – a historic underground railway system.
Commissioned in London at the turn of the 20th century, at a time when fog and heavily congested streets caused huge delays to the transportation of mail, the underground network connected west and east London and was the first driverless electric railway in the world.
Opened on 5 December 1927, the tunnels remained in use for almost a century. At its peak six million bags of mail were carried below ground each year delivering 4 million letters a day.
Despite this, the railway was too expensive to run compared to road transport and it eventually closed in 2003.
FCBStudios are leading the £26m project, backed by the HLF, to rebuild and extend the Royal Mail Museum at Mount Pleasant and to restore a stretch of the historic underground railway. This new attraction will significantly increase public access to a major part of our national history, presenting the rich story of communication, industry and innovation in one of Britain’s most important global services.
Click here for latest news updates
Click here to watch 3D visualisation of the redundant underground space